Newsquawk Logo

[ANALYSIS] Iranian War Day 44: US-Iran talks end without a deal; delegations return home

Importance
Level 1

TALKS OUTCOME

  • US VP Vance said US negotiators were returning without an agreement after 21 hours of talks.
  • Vance said the US had sought an affirmative commitment that Iran would not seek a nuclear weapon or the tools to quickly achieve one.
  • Vance said the US left behind a “final and best offer”.
  • The Iranian delegation included Parliamentary Speaker Ghalibaf and Foreign Minister Araghchi.
  • Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Baqaei said any success depended on the US refraining from excessive demands and unlawful requests, and negotiating with seriousness and good faith.
  • Iranian reporting said there was disagreement on several issues and that the Americans demanded through negotiations what they could not obtain through war.
  • Iranian reporting also said there was disagreement on the Strait of Hormuz and nuclear technology, among other issues.
  • Vance was later seen boarding Air Force Two after the talks ended; Vance said, "So we go back to the United States, having not come to an agreement."
  • Focus turns to the state of the ceasefire following these talks. There was no announcement on whether attacks on Iran will resume.

NOTE: The two-week ceasefire officially began at 01:00 BST on 8 April 2026 (20:00 ET on 7 April) and is scheduled to expire at 01:00 BST on 22 April 2026 (20:00 ET on 21 April).

MAIN STICKING POINTS

  • Lebanon: Iran wanted Israel’s campaign in Lebanon treated as part of the wider ceasefire framework, while the US and Israel said Lebanon was not part of the Iran-US ceasefire.
  • Strait of Hormuz: Iran wanted its authority recognised over the waterway and linked safe passage to wider terms; the US wanted it opened for shipping without Iranian restrictions.
  • Nuclear issue: The US wanted a long-term commitment that Iran would not pursue a nuclear weapon, while Iran sought to preserve enrichment rights.
  • Sanctions and frozen assets: Iran wanted sanctions relief and access to blocked assets.
  • Reparations: Iran wanted compensation for war damage.
  • Missiles: The US and Israel wanted Iranian missile capabilities cut back, while Tehran treated that as a core sovereign issue.
  • US military posture: Iran wanted broader non-aggression guarantees and pressure on the US regional presence.

US

  • Vance said the US had been flexible and accommodating during the negotiations.
  • He said the core issue remained whether Iran was willing to make a fundamental long-term commitment not to develop a nuclear weapon.
  • He said that commitment had not been secured.

IRANIAN POSITION

  • Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Baqaei said the talks had been intensive and covered the Strait of Hormuz, the nuclear issue, reparations, sanctions, and an end to the war.
  • He said the process depended on US seriousness and good faith.
  • Iranian reporting said Tehran was not in a hurry for negotiations.
  • Iranian reporting said the American side appeared to be looking for an excuse to leave the table.

TRUMP / NETANYAHU

  • Trump said it made no difference to him whether a deal was reached, saying the US had already won.
  • Israeli PM Netanyahu said the war with Iran was not yet over, despite claiming historic achievements.
  • Netanyahu also said Israel wanted the complete dismantlement of Hezbollah’s weapons in Lebanon.

STRAIT OF HORMUZ (SATURDAY)

  • US Navy warships transited the Strait of Hormuz on Saturday (11th April), marking the first such crossing since the war with Iran began six weeks ago.
  • US Central Command said two guided-missile destroyers — USS Frank E. Petersen Jr. and USS Michael Murphy — completed the transit, describing it as a freedom-of-navigation mission to set conditions for clearing naval mines.
  • The move came during US-Iran peace talks in Islamabad under a two-week ceasefire framework.
  • Iranian officials denied that any US vessels entered the strait.
  • Iranian reporting suggested at least one US destroyer turned back after warnings and UAV engagement.
  • US officials rejected these Iranian claims, stating the ships entered the Persian Gulf and returned as planned, suggesting the ships completed their brief mission inside the Gulf and headed back to the Arabian Sea, rather than "turning back" in retreat as Iran claimed.