Newsquawk Logo

[ANALYSIS] Iranian War Day 54: Ceasefire extended as talks stall and blockade remains in force

Importance
Level 1

OVERVIEW

  • US President Trump said the US had been asked to hold its attack on Iran until Iranian leaders and representatives can come up with a unified proposal, and extended the ceasefire until such time as their proposal is submitted and discussions are concluded, one way or the other, while instructing the military to continue the blockade.
  • Axios reported Trump is willing to give Iran another three to five days of ceasefire, with one source saying it looks like Trump does not want to use military force anymore and has made a decision to end the war, while also stressing the ceasefire is not going to be open-ended.
  • US-Iran talks remained in limbo, with VP Vance’s trip to Pakistan called off / postponed, Iran deciding not to attend Islamabad on Wednesday, and mediators still trying to get both sides back to the table.
  • Iranian officials said the continuation of the naval blockade means continuation of hostilities, while warning Tehran may not recognise or abide by the ceasefire under such conditions.

CEASEFIRE

  • US President Trump said the ceasefire would be extended until Iran submits a unified proposal and discussions are concluded, while the blockade on Iranian ports remains in place.
  • Trump posted that Iran is “collapsing financially”, wants the Strait of Hormuz opened immediately, and is losing USD 500mln/day with military and police complaining they are not being paid.
  • Trump also posted that Iran does not really want the Strait closed and only says so to “save face”, while adding that reopening it now would prevent a deal unless the US blows up the rest of the country and its leaders.
  • Fox News cited sources saying Trump’s decision not to resume strikes for now is a last chance for peace he is giving to the Iranian people, but the ceasefire will be short-term unless an agreement is reached shortly.
  • Axios reported Trump is reportedly willing to give Iran another three to five days of ceasefire, while a source said the ceasefire is not going to be open-ended.
  • US officials and Pakistani mediators are waiting for Iranian Supreme Leader Khamenei to break his silence in the next day or two and give his negotiators a clear directive to return to the table.

US-IRAN TALKS

  • US Vice President Vance called off his trip to Pakistan, according to AP, while Axios reported the trip was postponed indefinitely, and NYT said the diplomatic process is effectively paused though the trip has not been cancelled.
  • CNN reported the US blockade of the Strait of Hormuz has contributed to uncertainty around a second round of talks between Iranian and American negotiators.
  • Iran’s decision not to attend Pakistan on Wednesday is final, according to Tasnim, which said Tehran informed the American side through the Pakistani intermediary that it will not be present and there is currently no prospect of participating.
  • Pakistan’s PM thanked Trump for accepting requests to extend the ceasefire and said Islamabad will continue serious efforts to reach a negotiated solution and hopes both sides can reach a comprehensive peace agreement.
  • A Pakistani source said it is too early to talk about failure of the second round and neither side has formally apologised for not participating.
  • WSJ reported regional mediators led by Pakistan were racing to convince Iran to join talks with the US in Islamabad this week after Tehran said it would not send its delegation before the blockade on its ports is lifted.
  • Iran’s UN envoy said the US had privately indicated to Iranians it would soon lift its blockade, which Tehran has made a condition for returning to negotiations in Islamabad.
  • Tasnim reported Iran received “some sign” the US is ready to break the blockade, which appears linked to comments by UN Ambassador Amir Saeid Iravani that Tehran has received signs the US is ready to end the blockade and that the next round of negotiations would then take place in Islamabad.

IRAN

  • Iranian Foreign Minister Araghchi said blockading Iranian ports is an act of war and thus a violation of the ceasefire, while striking a commercial vessel and taking its crew hostage is an even greater violation.
  • Araghchi added Iran knows how to neutralise restrictions, defend its interests, and resist bullying.
  • Iran’s top joint military command spokesperson warned that Iran’s forces have been 100% ready and on the trigger for a long time, and in case of aggression, they will immediately attack predetermined targets and teach America and Israel another lesson.
  • Iranian Parliament Speaker Ghalibaf’s adviser said Trump’s decision to extend the ceasefire makes no sense, is an attempt to buy time for a surprise attack, and that Iran currently holds the initiative.
  • Iranian Parliament's National Security and Foreign Policy Commission member Khazarian said Trump is unilaterally announcing the end of the ceasefire while also maintaining the maritime blockade, calling this a ridiculous contradiction and saying it means there is still a silent war against Iran.
  • Iranian TV stated Tehran will not recognise the ceasefire announced by Trump and may not abide by it, acting instead in accordance with its national interests.
  • Tasnim said continuation of the naval blockade means continuation of hostilities, and Iran will not reopen the Strait of Hormuz while the maritime blockade continues, while it would break the blockade by force if necessary.
  • An Iranian senior official said Pakistan’s efforts to persuade the US to lift the naval blockade and release the Iranian ship and crew have not yet yielded results.
  • IRGC Aerospace Force Commander warned Gulf Arab states against allowing enemy facilities to be used against Iran, saying they would have to say goodbye to oil production.

HORMUZ

  • UKMTO said it received information about an incident 15 nautical miles northeast of Oman in which a container vessel was approached by a single IRGC gunboat, and gunfire struck the vessel and severely damaged the bridge.
  • Iran has continued to condition any reopening/de-escalation around Hormuz on an end to the US blockade.
  • US Treasury Secretary Bessent said Iran must be held accountable for its extortion of global energy markets and indiscriminate targeting of civilians with missiles and drones.

INTERNATIONAL

  • US Secretary of State Rubio will join talks between Israel and Lebanon on Thursday.
  • US blocked Iraq’s dollar shipments to squeeze Iran-backed militias and suspended security cooperation with Baghdad, according to WSJ.
  • EU’s Kallas said EU ministers reached an agreement to widen sanctions on Iran to include breaches of freedom of navigation.
  • UK will host military planners from over 30 countries on Wednesday to develop a mission to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, according to The Times.