Newsquawk Logo

[ANALYSIS] Iran War Day 46: Fresh talks eyed as blockade takes hold

Importance
Level 1

TALKS

  • The US and Iran are discussing another round of face-to-face talks after the Islamabad negotiations ended without a deal, with officials aiming to meet again before the two-week ceasefire expires.
  • Reports suggest a potential second round of talks could take place on Thursday, with sources indicating the next round may again be held in Islamabad.
  • US officials said there is “continued engagement” with Iran and forward motion in efforts to reach an agreement.
  • A senior US official said talks are continuing even now, and progress is being made towards a deal.
  • US officials are weighing another in-person session with Iran and are looking at potential dates and locations if ongoing discussions with Iran and regional mediators progress.
  • A source said the US and Iran came “very close” to an agreement and were “80% there” before hitting unresolved decisions that could not be settled on the spot.
  • Pakistani officials are intensifying diplomatic efforts to bring both sides back to the negotiating table and are awaiting responses from the US and Iran.

NUCLEAR STICKING POINTS

  • US President Trump said the key sticking point in talks is nuclear issues, adding there will be no deal if Iran does not agree to no nuclear weapons.
  • Trump said the US will get nuclear material back.
  • US Vice President Vance said Iran moved in the US direction during talks, but not far enough.
  • Vance said the ball is now in Iran’s court, and the US red lines have been made clear.
  • The US proposed a 20-year moratorium on uranium enrichment during talks, while Iran countered with a shorter “single-digit” period.
  • The US also requested Iran remove all highly enriched uranium from the country, while Iran proposed a monitored process of down-blending instead.
  • The Iranian Foreign Ministry said a number of points were agreed upon, but two major issues remained unresolved.
  • Iranian President Pezeshkian said unreasonable US demands prevented an agreement in weekend talks.

US

  • US President Trump said the US has been contacted by Iran and that Tehran wants to make a deal “very badly”.
  • Trump said the blockade began at 10:00 EDT as previously signalled.
  • Trump said the US will ensure Iran does not obtain nuclear weapons and reiterated that without agreement on nuclear terms, there will be no deal.
  • Trump stated that the US may pursue further military options if necessary.
  • US aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush is heading to the Middle East to join operations.

IRAN

  • Iranian Foreign Minister Araghchi warned of dangerous consequences from US actions in the Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz.
  • Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov told Araghchi it is important that no new fighting breaks out and that Moscow is on high alert to assist in de-escalation.
  • An IRGC spokesperson said Iran has not yet unveiled many of its capabilities and would respond with methods the enemy cannot counter if war continues.
  • The Iranian Defence Ministry said foreign military intervention in Hormuz would escalate global energy instability.
  • An Iranian lawmaker said a draft bill aims to redefine passage rules through the Strait of Hormuz and promote non-dollar energy trade mechanisms.
  • Iranian President Pezeshkian said Iran will negotiate only within international law and warned that threats to the Strait would have widespread global consequences.
  • Iran is demanding compensation from Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar and Bahrain for allowing territories to be used by the US.

STRAIT OF HORMUZ

  • Trump said 34 ships transited the Strait of Hormuz on Sunday, the highest since the closure began.
  • It was reported that 15–20 vessels, mainly Chinese, Pakistani, Russian and Iranian, have recently used a controlled corridor with IRGC permission after paying tolls.
  • A tanker heading to China was forced to reverse course under the US blockade.
  • British Defence Ministry deployed additional planners to US Central Command to explore options for reopening the Strait safely.
  • Saudi Arabia is pressing the US to drop the blockade amid concerns of wider escalation.
  • China signalled it will continue operating in the Strait and uphold its agreements with Iran.

OTHER DEVELOPMENTS

  • US Secretary of State Rubio will host Israeli and Lebanese ambassadors for talks aimed at a ceasefire, Hezbollah disarmament and a potential peace deal.
  • The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday at 18:00 EDT / 23:00 BST.
  • Hezbollah leadership called on Lebanon to cancel the talks and said it will not abide by any agreement reached.
  • Israeli PM Netanyahu said he wants a true peace pact with Lebanon.
  • Sirens sounded in northern Israel, while Hezbollah missile attacks were reported.